Ok, so this is the MOST delicious recipe I’ve made in a long time. I kid you not, these Easy Slow Cooker Hot Wings are so yummy, I was tempted to make them again the next day, because there were NO leftovers. And all the applause need to go to my brother-in-law, the owner and Chef at 521 Kitchen & Que in Atlanta, GA, for sharing the recipe.
At first, I was just going to look up a recipe online and roll with that–I mean, there’s lots of interesting things on the internet (heh), but then, I thought, there might be something to asking a person who really knows meats. I mean, it’s easy to mess-up hot wings. I can’t even get them consistent at big wing restaurants. But someone that their specialty is meat? They’ll know…so I e-mailed the brother-in-law, king of the que. I can’t tell you how excited I was when he got back to me with this simple, but WONDERFUL recipe.
Easy Slow Cooker Hot Wings
- 4 pounds chicken wing sections
- 12 ounces of hot sauce, Cholula or similar
- ¾ cup of butter
- ½ cup of orange juice
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ of a yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Place all the ingredients for the wings into the crock pot and cook for 2 hours on high. Check temperature with thermometer for internal temp of 165. If not at temp, turn cooker to low and cook until temperature reaches 165, checking at 30 minute intervals.
- Once at 165, remove chicken wings and place on oven safe tray(s) in a single layer.
- Baste the wings with the sauce from the slow cooker.
- Put wings into a 400 degree preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until crispy.
- Strain the rest of the braising liquid and put into a sauce pot.
- Combine water and cornstarch to make a "slurry".
- Bring the sauce to a boil and slowly stir in slurry.
- Bring back to a boil and the sauce will thicken.
- Remove the wings and place onto servings trays and glaze with the thickened sauce or use as dipping.
- If you want to make this dish spicier ad fresh jalapeno or habanero peppers into the crock pot. Be cautious as cooking them will increase the heat level.