So, I was making a test-run cake for Donut’s first birthday (does everybody do this? no? just me? oops.) and had this awesome batch of batter that–well, needed to be baked to see if it rose right. Now, I have to admit, this was something I’d been wanting to try for a while. So, maybe this wasn’t all about testing the recipe for Donut. But then again, everyone needs some Easy Gluten-Free & Vegan Rainbow Cupcakes in their life at some point. Donut might as well get it now. Heh.
Honestly, these came together so well, I was surprised. It seemed like a really questionable idea at the time, but then, I couldn’t help myself. So, there’s that. But they did come out cute! And I would totally make these gf & vegan rainbow cupcakes again, although, I might try to do them with more pastel colors next time. That might be pretty, too.
Whatever, ultimately, what I wanted was a fine crumb (check), a bouncy top (check), and none of that gummy crap I’d been struggling with a couple of weeks ago (apparently just tossing an entire can of aquafaba into a recipe is NOT the way to a woman’s heart). So, now that I’ve worked this out, I’m thinking there might be a re-breathe in the life of cakes in my day…heh.
Easy Gluten-Free & Vegan Rainbow Cupcakes
- 2 cups gluten-free cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup water
- ½ tspn salt
- 1 tspn baking soda
- 1 tspn xanthan gum
- 3 tblspn aquafaba (kidney bean juice is my favorite!)
- 5-6 different colors of food coloring (I ran out of #6, so I was down to 5...hence the waffling)
- Icing (if you can call it that)
- 2 tblspn coconut milk
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- sprinkles, if desired
- To make the cupcakes, preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Grease muffin tin or put cupcake liners in and grease them, whatever. Set aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in another medium bowl--except for the food coloring...hold off on that.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients in ⅓ cup increments. Or, if you’re impatient, like me, just dump everything together.
- Blend until batter is smooth.
- Split batter into 5 (or 6) separate bowls.
- Add one color of food coloring to each bowl.
- Stir until well combined.
- Place one tablespoon of each color into each muffin cup. When it starts getting full, you might have to mush it down a little...just make it work. I promise it will.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the centermost cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- To make the icing, mix your ingredients well.
- Slap some icing on top of each cupcake (I literally just drizzled it because I was in that kind of mood).
- Toss the sprinkles on top.
- Stuff your face with that rainbow, baby. LOL!
I’d love to hear how your easy gluten-free & vegan rainbow cupcakes turned out! Leave me a comment or hit me up on Facebook. I’m always looking for a new friend over there! LOL!