When my family started to grow about a decade ago, my daughter was pretty insistent that we respect her new husband’s food allergies when they came to visit (THE NERVE! LOL!). So, we initially cut-out a lot of foods, but that got boring real quick. I needed my breakfast-fix and so we figured-out how to make some of our favorite dishes without dairy or eggs. One of the BEST we came-up with is this easy Banana-Chocolate French Toast. You’d never know there wasn’t milk or eggs…not really sure why we always made it with those things before! LOL!
Basically, I have two menus I work with. One is the “typical” stuff I make for my husband and myself during the week. The other menu is egg and dairy free (oh, and nut-free, too, but that’s not so hard). I break-out these special dishes whenever the kids come over, but the one menu is starting to creep over into the first. Because, you know, it’s starting to become easier to just leave out the dairy and eggs. I never thought I’d say that, but it’s true. For whatever reason, eating vegan baked goods is kind of growing on me.
So, the reason I’m writing this recipe now, like in the middle of winter, is that I like to make this awesome breakfast for Christmas breakfast. It’s like a little warm hug in the morning after Santa comes and we’ve unwrapped gifts. The way the bananas and chocolate go together…its like a match made in heaven. And because it’s so easy, I can have it on the table for everybody in just a few minutes. So, if you’re looking for a fast, easy breakfast for Christmas morning–give ’em a little warm hug instead. LOL!
French Toast with Banana and Chocolate
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 T Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- 6 slices Bread (white bread is best for French Toast)
- 2 Bananas
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
- In a shallow, flat-bottom bowl (large enough to lay a piece of bread flat in), mix together the Coconut Milk with the Vanilla Extract and Granulated Sugar.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Place one piece of bread in the bowl with the Milk and Sugar mixture. Using a spatula, flip the bread over.
- Remove the bread from the bowl and place in the skillet (or griddle).
- Cook the toast until it begins to brown, then flip and brown the other side.
- As each piece is done, remove it from the skillet/griddle, place on a cookie sheet, and set inside a warm oven (185 degrees).
- Slice the Bananas about ½-inch thick.
- Place the Chocolate Chips in a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 10 seconds then stir. Repeat until chocolate is melted.
- Place one piece of French Toast on a plate, layer with Banana Slices, and drizzle with melted Chocolate. Add one more slice of toast.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve with warm syrup.
I’d love to hear what you think about this recipe, if you decide to make it for Saturday breakfast. Drop me a comment below–I really would love to hear it. Or, if you love love love it and just don’t have time to make it right now, be sure to Pin it for later–or just sign-up for our newsletter and Pin everything we roll-out! LOL!